Hiking The Wonderland Trail in Mount Rainer National Park
I had the opportunity to hike the 93 mile, Wonderland Trail in Mount Rainer National Park! See all the photos for sale from The Wonderland Trail hike! I went with a good friend of mine (Josh), for 10 nights and 11 days. Here are a couple of my thoughts from the trip:
- It was cold! Think of winter backpacking without the snow! Luckily (and due to *some* planning (e.g. A lot of planning), we had enough gear to keep warm. I still would have liked an extra layer.
- It was beautiful! I do wish I could have gone earlier in the year when the wild flowers are in bloom, but you need a permit to hike the trail so I had to take what I could get. By the way, it took me 3 years to be able to even “get in” to have a permit at all. That’s how popular this trail is!
- I would do it again if it was earlier in the year.
All in all it was a great trip and a great hike! Very strenuous! You're either going uphill or downhill the entire time! I remember the only two flat parts of the trail - that's how rare it is!
One of the most beautiful things about this trip was being away from instant communication! Being out in nature is healing and restorative in and of itself and when that’s coupled with the break of not being digitally “tapped on the shoulder” dozens of times a day it truly is a freeing time especially when you're surrounded by mountains. I love the mountains!
Here are a few sites that helped me a ton with planning:
- This Book: Discovering The Wonders of the Wonderland Trail by Bette Filley
- This Map for casual planning & research: Mount Rainer Trail Map
- This Map for actual hiking and details: National Geographic - Mount Rainer National Park Map
Please leave any thoughts or questions in the comments below! Again, take a look at all the photos of Mount Rainier and The Wonderland Trail that I have available for purchase!